Maryland Families for Safe Birth is committed to improving access to evidence-based, culturally sensitive, maternity care in all settings.
Do you believe that all Maryland families should have:
- Access to TOLAC (Trial of labor after Cesarean), VBAC (Vaginal birth after Cesarean), and other evidence-based birth options in all settings?
- Increased access to birth centers?
- Insurance coverage for birth regardless of their choice of provider or birth setting?
- Insurance coverage for doulas? (See the “What is a Midwife?” page for more information about the difference between a midwife and a doula.)
- Informed consent and respect for all birth choices, including choice of provider, choice of location, and choice of procedures, interventions, or other aspects of care?
- Respectful and culturally sensitive maternity care in all settings?
Here’s how you can get involved!
- Contact your MD state legislators in support of MFSB and to let them know you agree with these priorities for safe birth options for all Maryland families.
- Join us for Lobby Day in Annapolis on February 7, 2024! If you can’t attend, please plan to call, e-mail, and write letters.
- Support MFSB’s VBAC Access legislation: MFSB will once again be introducing legislation to expand access to VBAC options in Maryland. Why is it important to lower the Cesarean rate and increase access to TOLAC and VBAC? How are the high Cesarean rate and low VBAC rate in MD affecting our women and families? Has this maternity care issue affected you or your family personally? MFSB’s VBAC Access bill passed the Maryland House of Delegates with strong support in 2023, and we hope that 2024 will be the year that it passes both the House and the Senate, but we need your help to make this happen! Read the full text of the bill HERE, and watch for updates on the 2024 legislative session coming soon!
Here are some resources for how to find your state legislators and some talking points for contacting them in support of MFSB: